Thursday, July 17, 2008

Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies


Ah! Desserts! So... do vegans miss out on the most simple of earth's pleasures? These Vegan Cookies sure do look pretty normal... with the exception of the flax eggs... that's a little odd ROFL!
Oh, sorry if this seems so random. My interests change so quickly some times.
Once again, I'm not vegan, but I'm quite curious in how vegans eat now! Maybe you have been? I mean, it can't be easy to avoid dairy products and meat products...

The best vegan chocolate chip cookies I've ever created. Seriously. Crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.

Use the amount of butter called for if you want a slightly chunky cookie. A little more for a thin and very crispy cookie. Includes recipe for a healthy and fun vegan egg substitute!



1. To make the flax eggs: Grind flax seeds in a blender or food processor. Slowly add water and blend until it produces a gooey mixture. This makes 6 flax "eggs". Refrigerate unused flax eggs in refrigerator for up to 6 days. (Be sure to clean out blender immediately!)

2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

3. Sift together flour and baking soda, set aside. Beat together butter and both sugars. Beat in egg replacer (6 Tbsp flax goo = 2 eggs) and vanilla. Add flour mixture. Stir in chocolate chips.

4. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets, about 2 inches apart. Bake for 13 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove cookies to racks to cool completely -- they'll firm up considerably.

Yield: 2 dozen

Variations:

Mama's thoughts: They certainly look normal. And I would think that they would taste pretty normal. I've had carob chips before, and they actually taste like the real thing.... maybe a little more sugary, though. What do you think?

4 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Your making me too hungry tonight!

mom2abntb said...

I've wondered how it's like being vegan too...especially since Emily Deschanel is vegan...Thanks for these recipes.

Sassyfrazz said...

I could never be vegan...I love my meats, dairy, and good food! ~lol
Those cookies sure look yummy, though.

Danielle said...

I am vegan (well 95%) and have basically went without dessert for months. I really do need to try these. YUMMY! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!