Saturday, November 8, 2008

Words of the Day

I love learning language and new words. I think I'll do a new word day every so often....

Here are a few, some new to me, some not:

tête-à-tête : I love this word. It sounds just like the definition. PRN: Tet-a-tet. –noun
1. a private conversation or interview, usually between two people.

sotto voce : I kept coming across this one while reading scripts. Had to look it up. PRN: sawt-taw vaw-che.
–noun in a low, soft voice so as not to be overheard.

sou marqué : This one is new to me. PRN: soo-mar-key
1. a billon coin of France, issued in the 18th century for circulation in the colonies.
2. something that has little or no value.

resplendent \rih-SPLEN-duhnt\, adjective:
1. very bright or shining; splendid

mot juste : This one's new to me, too. \moh-ZHOOST\, noun:
1. a word or phrase that exactly fits the case

0 Comments: