Monday, May 19, 2008

Breastfeeding Fact O' The Week


Tandem Breastfeeding

Do you need to wean in order to become pregnant again? No, you do not. Although I am sure there is a small percentage of women who must in order to become pregnant, but it is far from impossible.

Some women might worry that if they breastfeed a toddler then there won't be enough milk for the new infant. This is not true. In fact, our breasts are amazing things. They will create enough milk for two children at any volume. Tandem breastfeeding often helps to meet the needs of two children. The older child will not be left out and will get that one-on-one special nursing time with mom, too. You'd be surprised at how often this is practiced all over the world.

For more information, click here or here.

3 Comments:

Violet said...

I read a book where a lady had twins, by the time they were 1 she had another. She had plenty of milk for all 3.

My friend Joanna got pregnant with her son Gabriel while her son Levi was 9 months and still breast feeding strong.

She fed Levi until she was 15 months old (and she was 6 months pregnant). She stopped because she had MAJOR migraines and dizzyness. SHE just wasn't able to eat enough calories to support baby in the tummy, baby breast feeding and herself. Of course the body takes care of the baby first so she felt the symptoms. That is why she weaned. It is SO important for moms to be aware of their OWN bodies, and what it is telling them.

I hope to breast feed all my babies as long as possible (which I think will be until they demand I sit down and give them nursies, or they stuff their hand down my shirt...in public....I couldn't handle that! lol!

I love watching Anna grow up, I just wish I could see her in person again! I've only seen her once!

Leah said...

Great post! I got pregnant w/ both of my younger 2 while I was nursing. I tandem nursed the first 2 (they were 17 moths apart). Joshua was weaned by the time I had Abigail, so it wasn't possible. It drives me crazy when doctors tell moms they have to wean their kiddos just because they are pregnant. Unless a mom starts feeling contractions or cramping, she'll be fine. A small # of mom (especially w/ a history of preterm labor) will cramp with nursing and should stop. Anyway, great job for passing on this info!!

Kristin said...

Yep, I've tandem nursed, too. I got pregnant with #2 when #1 was 11 months old so I continued to nurse throught the pregnancy and after #2 was born. Then they were both still nursing when I got pregnant with #3. #1 and #2 weaned during that pregnancy. Now I am pregnant with #4 and #3 still nurses. I have to eat a lot more to make sure I keep up my strength. Thankfully, my midwife is very supportive.