Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Cloth Diapering...

Well, after winning the BumGenius diaper, I've been using it for overnight. Its absorbency is just awesome. I really would love to switch Anna over to all cloth. Not because I'm a nutty hippie or anything (as my dear hubby would say) but because of how much money it would save. I'm willing to do the laundry, I really am. I have been washing Anna's BumGenius every day after she wets it. The only problem that I've come across is finding affordable cloth diapers. I've found a website called Diaper Swappers, but it's just so darn confusing. There are hundreds of brands, pockets, prefolds, and a others... It's just so overwhelming. If I had the money, I'd just buy a ton of BumGenius diapers.... I like them. They do the job and they do it well. Of course that is my only experience with cloth diapers. I've come across a brand called Kushies. It looks like they would be harder work than BumGenius... I'm not sure. The nice thing: the price is right. I can get 8 diapers for around 55 dollars. Has anybody tried Kushies out there? Is there anything you have to say about Kushies? How about another brand that you're pleased with? I'd like to be able to buy enough diapers to diaper my daughter for a day, day and a half for around 50 dollars. Any suggestions? I would be glad if you could suggest anything! Thank you!

Oh, by the way, I'm looking at the Basic Kushies toddler diapers... nothing fancy. Just something she can poop in lol.

9 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey hon!!

I like the Kushies!! They might not be as nice as the Bum Genius, but the price is right and they are very usable.

The ones I have are water-proof and have a flap inside that you stuff with an insert. I just use microfiber towels that I got at Walmart.

You know I love my CDs!!

Milk Mama said...

Thank you Lori! I wish I had a way to get a hold of you so we could schmooze about CDing. :) If you read this, can you email me?

Lucy said...

I haven't heard great things about Kushies, but I think that it also totally depends on your kid. Each brand supposedly fits each kid differently, so maybe they would work fine for you. Also, the whole diaperswappers thing does take a while to get the hang of, but once you do it is quite useful. You can get some used stuff for cheap on there to try out different brands. Prefolds with covers are supposedly the best bang for your buck, but also more work. I've also heard great things about fuzzi bunz, but again they are slightly more expensive.

Although I am by no means an expert, but feel free to contact me with questions.

http://macyfron.com

Milk Mama said...

Thank you for your help! :)

Anonymous said...

Ha ha ha ha ... well now that you've discovered DiaperSwappers.com I hope you have more will power than I do. I CANNOT stop collecting all the different kinds of diapers **AHHHH*** (bangs head on keyboard). You'll find something that works. You don't have to spend tons. I'll get hold of you (I replied to your post on DS too) - I have some CottonBaby diapers you can try (I will say they are not as trim as other diapers, but for around the house and to get you started, they may just do the trick).

GL. :)

Milk Mama said...

Wow! Thanks Susan!!! :D

Shan said...

I did cloth with my first one, and while it was nice because I saved a lot of money on diapers, man did we go through laundry detergent and oxyclean! She had sensitive skin so the dreft/oxyclean combo really got expensive and when I figured it out we weren't saving any money on it after the cost of detergent. That said, the diaper covers were too stinkin' cute! I can see where that could become a new addiction... I guess I replaced the diaper covers with babylegs and so now I'm collecting those... thanks for the review though, always good to have info about the options...

Kristin said...

Hey! I have recently been experimenting with cloth diapers. You can read about it on my blog at from-my-life.blogspot.com. I have a bunch of stuff I've gotten cheap and am not going to use. E-mail me at two_pogs@juno.com and I can make a deal with you! :-)

Sassyfrazz said...

My friend, who cloth diapers, says Bum Genius is the ultimate best! IF, and that is a big IF I clothed diapered...I would use Bum Genius. I would say if you want to try Kushies, just order one or two and try them out to see if you like them. Cloth diapers are more affordable (long run) but expensive up front. You want to be sure you like them! :)

Good luck with the decision making!