Friday, April 4, 2008

Goodnight Moon



My daughter received "Goodnight Moon" by Margaret Wise-Brown in her Easter basket from my mom for Easter. I asked her to when she asked me which book to get her. It came in a box with a cute little bunny in blue and white striped pajamas, just like in the book. Goodnight Moon is one of the first books I remember my mom reading to me. She was always great at making the "voices" for her tales and I loved it. It wasn't until much later in life, when I was in college, that I learned that Goodnight Moon, the story that held so much meaning to my childhood, that the book is a true classic. I am so glad I get to share this wonderful story with my daughter. About the book itself: I learned in college that when you write a children's story that one of the important things you can do with you write is have lots of repetition. There is plenty in this book. The story begins with describing the room, then piece by piece, you say "Goodnight" to each of the parts of the room: the mush, the comb, the old lady who whispers "Hush" and so on. But I when I think back of when I read this book with my own mother, I remembered the pages. The colors on the pages are so vibrant: green, yellow, red. Each set of colored pages alternates with a black and white page. And have you ever noticed that in the beginning of the story the moon in the window is very low and as you turn the pages the moon rises into the sky? I am convinced this is quite possibly one of the best bedtime stories ever. I love it. I wish I had one to give away, but I don't. So you'll have to go buy it or borrow it from your library for free! ;)
Marget Wise-Brown also wrote two other books in the Goodnight Series and many, many other books. To read more about Margaret Wise-Brown, visit Mararet Wise-Brown.com

1 Comment:

Mommy to those Special Ks said...

One of my absolute favorites of all times! Also, have you ever read "The Monster at the End of this Book"? Ahhhh I love that story!