Friday, April 4, 2008

Rice Pudding


If you ask my husband, rice pudding is my favorite dessert in the whole wide world. I love making it. Unfortunately my cookbook is the garage *grr*! So, I found the closest recipe I could find. My favorite recipe only calls for milk, rice (cooked... great way to use leftovers!), sugar, cinnamon, eggs, and raisins! It is so simple and so delicious. It is truly a comfort food recipe!
Oh I have one tip for making rice pudding... if you are making the rice for this recipe (as opposed to using leftovers) then stir while making the rice (this is generally against the rules in rice preparation) HOWEVER, stirring does just the most perfect thing for rice pudding that wouldn't work for general rice eating times.... it breaks down the outside of the rice hulls making the rice creamy... oh so delicious!!! Yum!

BAKED RICE PUDDING
4 eggs, beaten
3 c. milk
1/3 c. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 c. cooked rice
1/2 c. seedless raisins (more, if you wish)

Combine all ingredients and pour into a 2 1/2 quart baking dish. Set dish in a pan of hot water. Bake in 300 degree oven for about 1 hour. After first 30 minutes, insert spoon at edge of pudding and stir from bottom. Continue baking until knife inserted near center of pudding comes out clean. Serve hot, warm or cold.

Serves about 6 to 8.

1 Comment:

Overwhelmed! said...

Now why is your cookbook in the garage? Is it packed away like the boxes of books I have packed, waiting for us to purchase more bookshelves? :)

The rice pudding recipe that you shared sounds quick and easy. I love that!

Thanks for participating in my Favorite Ingredients Friday- Dessert Edition recipe exchange. I sure do appreciate it!